At All Temp Heating & Air Conditioning, we understand that homeowners in the Chicago, IL;, Park Ridge, IL, Lincolnwood, IL, Skokie, IL, Woodridge, IL & Bolingbrook, IL areas may want to do simple maintenance or repairs for their air conditioning systems. While there are times when a professional AC contractor should be contacted, there are some simple DIY tasks you can do to keep your system running smoothly. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your air conditioning repair and service.
1. Change the Air Filter Regularly: Air filters should be changed or cleaned every 1-3 months, depending on the type of filter you have and the amount of air circulation in your home. Replacing or cleaning the filter will help to improve the air quality in your home as well as improve the efficiency of your system.
2. Clean the Outdoor Unit: If your outdoor unit gets dirty, it can cause your system to run less efficiently and require more frequent repairs. To keep your system running smoothly, use a garden hose to spray down the outdoor unit and remove any dirt or debris that has accumulated.
3. Check the Ductwork for Leaks: Leaky ducts can cause your system to work harder, run longer and create hot and cold spots throughout your home. Make sure to check the ducts for any gaps or holes where air can escape or leak.
4. Inspect the Coolant Lines: Your air conditioning system uses a coolant known as refrigerant to cool the air in your home. Over time the coolant lines can become worn or frayed. If your coolant lines are not in good condition, it can decrease the efficiency of your system and make your home uncomfortable.
5. Check the Vents: Make sure to check the vents in each room of your home to ensure that they are open and the air is flowing freely. If the vents are blocked, it can cause the system to work harder and create hot and cold spots throughout the home.
By following these simple DIY tips, you can help to keep your air conditioning repair and service to a minimum. However, if you find that your system is not running as efficiently as it should, it is important to contact a professional AC contractor. All Temp Heating & Air Conditioning can provide the necessary repairs to keep your system running smoothly and efficiently. Visit our website to learn more about our services.